Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Follow Your Dream

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
~Henry David Thoreau

Recently a filmmaker friend approached me with good news.  He had just received a grant to do a documentary.  "I can't believe it," he said.  "I'm finally getting paid for my work.  I can't believe how lucky I am to be doing this."

After our conversation, I thought:  "This person believes that he is earning a living in spite of doing what he loves; but the reality is just the opposite.  It is because he is following his passion that he prospers.  As he aligns himself with his higher purpose, the Universe cannot help but make straight, smooth, and perfect his way."

People who say, "Be practical," don't realize that following your heart is the most practical thing one can do.  There is no greater way to ensure success than being true to who you are.  On the other hand, there is nothing more likely to block that success than turning away from your calling.  Living at cross-purposes with your true nature creates struggle and lack of fulfillment at a deep level.  It is hard to be someone other than yourself.

The lesson is clear:  As impractical as it may sound, the safest and most secure way to lead your life is to follow your dream.

This was forwarded to me by my dear friend Val, who thought of me when she read it.  She warmed my day.  Thought I would share it with you.
                                                                                            ~Dana

2 comments:

  1. I thought this sounded familar! SO glad I decided to forward. It was a blessing for me to read again. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana...it's a little sad that most of us don't understand this principal until later in life. Sadly I think it's because we are so busy "going through life" that we don't stop and ask ourselves "what kind of a life do I want". As we get closer to the end some of us finally take a pause and realize "how did I get on this road?" and change coarse. I have learned that creativity cannot (in most people) grow in a crowded brain. "Be still and know that I am God" He says to us. There is a reason He tells us this...not only to know Him, but to know who we are IN Him. I love you. Thanks for sharing your beautiful gifts with us!

    ReplyDelete